Banner1

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chapter 13: Bella POV

I sat on the railing watching again as Jasper’s car drove away, and I was getting pretty fucking sick of watching that car drive away. Storming into the house, I left the door wide open, not caring if I let a whole swarm of mosquitos in. When I reached my destination my plan fell into place, tonight Jasper Whitlock would fall victim to my womanly wiles. My hand reached out for the lace dress my mother got me one year from fashion week and I briefly admired the short feather skirt. I grabbed my coral belt and matching patent leather heels to finish off the outfit before quietly making my way to Daddy’s office to find Jasper’s address.

I lied again. I’m getting really good at doing that; I guess the theater class the school had me take was good for something. Daddy asked where I was going, dressed like I was and at such a late hour. I told him Angela found a new hang out and wanted me to check it out with her. He let me go but set a curfew, and he knew I hated those. I slowly pulled into the parking lot behind a tall brick building next to the car that haunted my day dreams, so many possibilities. I pulled myself out of the daydream and began the journey to his apartment.

I stood outside of the apartment taking in the imperfections of the large 698 on the door, listening to the quiet noises as they filtered through the wood. I laughed quietly as light sound of snoring battled with the attempted quiet from the running water. I pulled my hand back and let it lightly fall against the smooth door, hoping whoever was awake didn’t hear it. I was about to turn away when the door opened and I was soundlessly invited in.

The scene before me unfolded as I was invited into the small and undecorated apartment by the blonde who had bravely faced me after my not so lady-like behavior earlier. It was obvious Jasper was dead to the world, while he slept, since he barely registered the door closing as his sister walked away too soon to attend to the bacon and sausage sizzling in the cast iron skillet on the stove. I took in more of the scene and picked up a blue and white checkered bowl before mixing in what appeared to be the rest of the ingredients for cinnamon apple pancakes. Jasper’s sister walked over after making sure we hadn’t woken him and lightly placed a well-manicured hand in my shoulder.

“I didn’t have a chance to introduce myself earlier, I’m Rosalie Hale.” She said, extending a hand out to me.

I looked at her hand and back to the bowl before putting the bowl down and shaking her hand quickly. “I’m Isabella Swan, sorry about the temper tantrum you witnessed earlier. I have a problem with jealousy, or that’s what everyone tells me… something about after effects of my parent’s divorce or some crap.”

“Well, it was very nice to meet you Miss Isabella. I’m going to let you finish making Jasper breakfast since I think the two of you should have some time to talk. If he asks about where I am, just tell him I went out to get some supplies for school and to learn the “lay of the land.” I hope we can become great friends Isabella.” Rose finished what seemed like a monologue from one of Shakespeare’s plays and places a gentle kiss on my cheek before skipping out the front door.

I stood there with the wooden spoon in my hand staring after her. This seems to be a common trait for these siblings, and I’m not sure I like it. I shook my head and went back to the task at hand, Jasper’s breakfast. I pulled the bacon and sausage out of the pan, placing them on a plate in the oven so they were still warm when Jasper was ready to eat. Picking up the bowl, I brought it over to the pan Rosalie had previously used for the bacon and poured a small amount of the pancake batter in while humming the melody to the one song I can remember Renee singing to me as a little girl.

At some point in the twenty or so minutes it took me to cook the pancakes, two things happened. One, I started to sing along with the tune playing in my head, and two, Jasper woke up. I realized Jasper was awake when his smooth tenor voice joined me on the last couple of lines.

There ain't nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of the earth for you
Make you happy, make your dreams come true
To make you feel my love


I spun around causing left over batter to spray around the kitchen and on Jasper’s toned abs, which he had left uncovered for my obvious enjoyment.

“I’m sorry if I startled you, Miss Bella, but I couldn’t help but join you and the wonderful smells wafting from the room called to me.” He said as he closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.

“Uh…” I said, still staring at the batter dripping slowly down his abs, “There are pancakes by the stove and bacon and sausage in the oven, help yourself. I’ll be right back. I forgot something in my car.” I said using my car as an excuse to leave before I was seducing him again.

I sighed as I reached my car, happy I left some of my more casual clothes in the trunk. I changed into a black pull over, black lounge pants and my favorite pair of studded black Converse before heading back upstairs where Jasper was waiting for me.

I didn’t hesitate this time; I turned the door knob and walked calmly through the doorway. Jasper was seated at the head of the table shoving the food into his mouth like it was the first time he’d had real food in a long time. I stifled a laugh, as I noticed the small pieces of pancake that were stuck in the bottom of his hair.

He turned around, fork half way to his mouth. “What…?”

“Nothing, you just look so adorable.”

“Oh, okay.” He said, shoving another forkful in his mouth.

I sat down in the chair next to him, taking in the unique and eclectic decorating style that seemed to spread from the kitchen to the rest of the house. I was caught in my musings about what could have happened that caused Jasper to leave Texas when I was pulled from my seat into Jasper’s lap.

“Can I ask you something and get an honest answer Darlin’?” he asked, sounding so serious I was certain he knew about my role in Mike’s death.

“Sure,” I said slowly, almost hesitantly.

“Why did you walk away when Rose showed up at the theater tonight, err…yesterday I guess, instead of letting me explain?” He asked running his hands nervously over his jeans.

“Because I’ve been used and forgotten too many times to let myself wait for the excuse.” I said hiding my face in my hands, moving my legs to get up and go back to having some sort of personal space for the both of us.

We sat in silence as my words hung in the air between us, the weight of them making me feel like I was drowning. “What was Texas like?” I asked in an attempt to move the focus of our conversation off of me.

“Hot…” he said, his signature smirk on his face.

“Okay captain obvious, other than hot what was it like?” I said sarcasm becoming my primary language.

“It was amazing and boring at the same time, if that makes any sense.”

“Oh yes that makes perfect sense, because you can have something be amazing and boring at the same time.” I said, bringing my chair closer to him so that our knees were touching.

It was quiet between us for a while, almost to the point where it became awkward. I couldn’t help but start to laugh, our awkwardness was that absurd.

“What are we doing?” I asked, the laughter dying down.

“I’m not sure. I’ve known you since you were ten. I don’t think we need to do the get to know you crap.” He said.

We got lost in our own little world and were befuddled when Rose came walking through the door looking ready for school.

“Um, Rhee…it’s 5 in the morning, where did you find a store that was open?” Jasper asked, seeming concerned about his sister’s possible criminal activity.

“Don’t you go worrying your pretty little head Apple Jax. All I did was go get the rest of my stuff from the car. You two were so far off in your own little bubble neither of you noticed me walk by with boxes earlier.” She said, hands on her hips and her sassy attitude rolling off her in waves.

“I should get home. Daddy’s got to be worried sick right now, and I have to get ready for school. Rose, do you want a ride to school? I could swing by and get you on my way in.” I said hoping to get to know the elusive family member.

No comments:

Post a Comment