Banner1

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chapter 12: Jasper POV

I stood there listening to the door slam and the tires squeal, just staring at the road after she left like it would hold some hidden clue in its twilight shadows. But it didn’t offer me any help, just a creeping cold that told me I had pushed her again. When I turned back to my car, my shoulders slumped and my happiness of seeing Rose drained away. I was not surprised by the look my youngest sibling was giving me.

With one last pointed eye-roll, Rose walked over to where I stood and threw her arm around my waist. “Go after her you idiot. I mean, God! Didn’t you learn anything from all of the chick flicks Nettie, Lucy, and I made you watch with us growing up?” She said before pushing me toward my car.

I dug my heels into the pavement, slowing her down for the moment, “Rose, I don’t think going after her right now would be the smartest idea. She may not look tough but she knows how to handle a gun and has the best aim out of anyone on the force, and she isn’t a police officer.” I paused when I heard a rather uncharacteristic snort from my sister.

“Rough and tumble Jasper is afraid of a girl, who looks about half his age? I never thought I’d see the day when my big brother was afraid of a girl!” She exclaimed, almost rolling on the ground with laughter.

“Okay, keep laughing Rose and I’ll make you walk.” I said concentrating on getting back to my car so that I didn’t hit her.There were too many people in this parking lot that would take it out of context, since even though we were siblings, we didn’t look anything alike.

“Now is that how momma taught you to treat a lady Apple Jax?” Rose asked, as she slid gracefully into the passenger seat.

I scoffed playfully, “When did you become a lady Rhee?”

“Apple Jax, can I talk to her? Explain things, maybe. I must have ruined everything by showing up here tonight, and I feel really bad about it. I haven’t seen you this happy since, well, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you that happy.” She said, turning in her seat to face me, her baby blue eyes pleading.

“Rhee, as much as I love that you want to make things better, maybe I should consider this as fate telling me, ‘Hey moron, this isn’t meant to be.” I said as I put the small theater and Bella’s broken expression behind me.

Rose slumped against the seat, but it definitely wasn’t in defeat. I knew she was trying to find a way to make this right, and I let her, because it gave me hope that maybe I just wasn’t hearing fate correctly. It gave me hope that this broken girl was the other half of me that I had been missing. That she was the one thing I was always searching for. I pulled into my parking spot and helped Rose up the rather precarious steps before showing her around. Leaving her to settle in my room; I set up my cell phone and alarm on the coffee table before passing out on the couch, knowing tomorrow would be a long day.

My mind registered the sound of the front door opening and closing and the smell of some meat product cooking before my eyes opened and my cell phone vibrated across the table to the floor.

0o0o0

Rose POV

I waited, pretending to get settled in Jasper’s room, for Jasper to fall asleep. I know he said it wouldn’t do any good for me to meddle with the mess I created, but I had honestly never seen him this happy before. Sure, he was happy when he lived with Lucy, Nettie, Momma, and I, but his happiness always seemed forced, and now I had proof that it was. Looking around at the sparsely decorated room, a notepad sitting on the bedside table caught my eye. I smiled, knowing exactly what I was going to do with the address scribbled on the page.

I quietly eased the bedroom door open and walked right past the living room to the front door; if I got caught, I could always use the excuse of needing a drink before bed. Carefully pulling the keys out of Jasper’s pants, I got ready to find this girl’s house.

I drove slowly around town, hoping I wouldn’t get myself lost. Finally, pulling up in front of a rather intimidating two story house, I knocked on the door, pacing to keep myself from chickening out and driving back to Jasper’s. The door swung open and I found myself face to face with a delicate looking brunette. The expression on her face dropped from one of pleasant surprise to one of strong dislike, I would even venture to say it qualified as hate.

“What do you want?” She asked, leaning against the door frame with her arms crossed against her chest.

“I was hoping I could explain. I think there was a misunderstanding tonight.” I said, hoping she would be willing to hear me out.

“Fine” She said, closing the door behind her and sitting on the railing, raising an eyebrow in my direction.

“Well,” I started, testing to see how this conversation was going to go.

“Would you just explain whatever big misunderstanding there was, I have things I need to do.” She said, her shoulders tensing and her entire body telling me she was on the defensive.

“I think you misunderstood the hug between Jasper and I. You probably think we’re dating, like most people, but the honest to god truth is that we are brother and sister. I’m the reason he’s been gone for ten weeks. I’m guessing he hasn’t told you about any of us, the few who really know him that he left in Texas nine years ago. I’m sorry that I ruined your date and that I came over unannounced like this.” I turned and started to walk back to Jasper’s car, turning back to add, “Please don’t shut him out because of me. You should know I have never seen him as happy as he was tonight.”

I got into Jasper’s car, leaving Jasper’s love interest standing on her porch to contemplate what I told her. I think I just moved into a real life soap opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment